Friday, May 17, 2013

My Work With Texas PTA




I was fortunate enough to spend two years working as the Communications Coordinator for Texas PTA (Texas Congress of Parents and Teachers) from March 2011 to March 2013. I never had such a pleasant and life-changing experience in my professional life.

In working for PTA, I was able to help conceptualize and design the themes for many of the large annual events such as Summer Leadership Seminar and The Family Engagement Conference and Annual Convention. I was able to take part in the state legislative process by lobbying at the Texas State Capitol for PTA legislative priorities, and was able to meet and interact with lawmakers as well as some truly amazing volunteers. I had the privilege of creating a vast social network for the PTA, using Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. On Facebook I converted their presence from the archaic group and profile format to the more modern fan page usage, and was able to grow the fan base to over 2,500 fans. I helped to update their website and created much of the graphic design used in their media.

I had my second child in October, and in April made the decision to quit the job that I loved to stay home with my children, who I love even more. Below are a few pictures from just a few events I was able to take part in during the course of my two year tenure with this wonderful association.


2012 Texas PTA President Karen Slay in the office of Texas Senator Robert Duncan on the morning she was recognized on the senate floor for her years of dedication and service to Texas PTA. In the late nineties, Karen Slay was the pioneering force behind the "Kids Aren't Cargo" legislation that made it illegal for minors to ride in the back of pickup trucks in Texas after several children were killed in her hometown of Lubbock. Senator Duncan was the bill sponsor.

Texas Education Commissioner Michael Williams at his first public appearance since his election. Commissioner Williams spoke at the PTA Education Rally.


Some of the crowds at the 2012 Summer Leadership Seminar at the Austin Convention Center - the theme was "Get Connected"
I also created the logo for the upcoming 2013 Summer Leadership Seminar in Dallas



No comments:

Post a Comment